[Eosc-life-wp4] EOSC-Life WP4 workshop on pseudo/anonymisation

Callum Smith callum at instruct-eric.eu
Fri Nov 8 09:53:46 GMT 2019

Dear All,

I know of a use case here in Oxford where de-identification of data requires HPC resources, specifically de-identification of 4D fMRI videos that is hugely compute intensive. If we mandate data has to be de-identified _before_ it comes to the cloud, we force the creation of more private clouds which I think is against the spirit of EOSC. In such a scenario it’s very hard to identify who becomes the third party holding the pseudonymisation as Petr has highlighted, as that party also needs to have access to a fully configured HPC. By commoditising the pseudonymisation layer into containers, at least some of the headache goes away. It’s particularly hard (read: procedurally impossible) to do this within a single organisation or university.

Regards,
Callum

--
Callum Smith