[Eosc-life-wp4] ADD SIGNATURE to red lines paper to Keep digital sequence information a common good

IBON CANCIO ibon.cancio at ehu.eus
Tue Jul 6 15:34:38 BST 2021

Dear all

I acknowledge that you may not all be fully knowledgeable of the
“Nagoya protocol” and the constrains that it has brought around the
utilization of genetic resources (GRs) worldwide since it was
formulated by the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD) in 2010 and
adopted by the EU in 2014. I suppose that you may have heard about the
intention of some of the parties to incorporate the utilization of
Digital Sequence Information (DSI) into the Nagoya protocol. In the
same way there are some inertial feelings by some parties towards
applying to DSI the same bilateral mechanisms in place for GRs.
Imagine that you have to negotiate terms of use for each single
sequence that you utilize (let us say when you Blast a sequence) with
the country that provided the GR from which the sequence was derived!

What is at stake? The free and open access to the public sequence data
repositories and the information therein. That is what is at stake.

All these aspects are going to be discussed in the next conference of
the parties of the CBD, COP15, in China this October. In this context,
and knowing that the approval of the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity
Framework could depend on this DSI issue, a group of scientists lead
by the Leibniz Institute in Germany have written a 2 page red lines
paper, presenting the position of the DSI practitioning scientists, so
our EU politicians defend it in negotiations in October.

Hereby, as participant in the drafting of the paper and as member of
EOSC-Life WP4, I share with you the last version of the paper together
with information about how to add your signature in case of
considering it convenient (see e-mail bellow).

Best wishes

IBON Cancio
Associate Professor in Cell Biology
University of the Basque Country